We have lots of great walking trails out here on the Baccalieu Trail, near the cottages. So many, indeed, that we haven’t even had a chance to explore them all! So I recently turned to our friends (and locals!) Leslie and Clifford (pictured above, at the Lower Tickle Pond Falls). They’ve come up with an insider’s list of the best trails in the area for snowshoeing, cross country skiing, quad and snow mobile.
So here’s their favourites:
- Old Track to Cavendish – Heart’s Delight – brings you right to Carbonear
- Old Track to Drover’s Store
- Old Track to Crocker’s Cove in Green’s Harbour (watch out for fairies crossing the road)
- Trail Around the Pond – brings you to such stunning places as the Camel’s Back, and can even take you to Carbonear
- Hook from Glover’s Road to Green’s Harbour and see the big Lower Tickle Pond Falls. This is the plateau where water flows one way to Conception Bay and the other way to Trinity Bay
- Jimmy Rowe’s Pond in the Wonderful World of Whiteway (my favourite!)
- John Williams Path to the Mines
- Heart’s Content Barrens
- Tilton Barrens
- Crout’s Way from Green’s Harbour to Cupids
- The pole line from Whiteway to Heart’s Content, going on for miles in either direction
This is just to mention a few of the main trails, ponds, and glorious sights to be seen here.The beautiful thing is that, with the right equipment, you can enjoy these trails all year round. No reason to stay inside this winter! Especially since our Whiteway cottages, including our stunning, ocean-front honeymoon cottage, are still open.
The Baccalieu is the Trail of Trails, with wide open country and hundreds of miles of pristine, gorgeous country side, snow rimmed bays and a special climate. In fact our very own Wonderful World of Whiteway is recognized as having the best micro climate in all of Trinity Bay. And we’ll cheers, or hike, to that!